Apple introduced Mac Dark Mode with the Yosemite update in 2014 before Mac OS was named macOS. Mac Dark Mode has been available in every Mac OS version since then. There are several reasons why people prefer dark mode. It’s easier on the eyes, especially in low-light environments. It can also reduce distractions by focusing on content instead of the user interface. Additionally, using dark mode may slightly prolong battery life.
In the past, you needed third-party apps to have a dark theme on your Mac. However, now you can easily enable Mac Dark Mode using built-in features. Some versions of macOS even allow you to set dark mode to auto, which we’ll explain below.
Mac Dark Mode on Mac is a theme option that can make the interface of your Mac device appear darker. It is helpful when you want to work in a darker environment or prefer a different visual style. Switching to Dark Mode can make it easier to focus on your work as the content stands out more. It can also be beneficial for your eyes, especially during nighttime when you want to reduce the strain on your eyes.
To enable Mac Dark Mode on your Mac, you can access the System Settings and make the necessary adjustments. Additionally, you have the option to use Siri to switch to Dark Mode. If you prefer to switch between light and Dark Modes frequently, you can make use of the Control Center.
In this guide, we’ll provide detailed, step-by-step instructions on how to activate dark mode on your Mac in four different ways. We’ll also cover how to switch to dark mode in older versions of macOS. Let’s dive right in!
How to Make Mac Dark Mode
If you want to turn on dark mode on your Mac computer, follow these step-by-step instructions for macOS Ventura, the latest operating system:
A. How to Get Dark Mode on Mac
- Open System Settings by clicking on the top menu bar or using Spotlight (the magnifying glass icon in the top-right corner) or by pressing the cmd + space shortcut.
- Once System Settings is open, find and select “Appearance” in the settings menu. In the Appearance panel, you’ll see options for Light, Dark, and Auto modes at the top of the window.
- Choose “Dark” mode from the options, and then close the settings window.
If you have an older version of macOS like Monterey, Big Sur, or any version after OS X Yosemite, refer to the guide for enabling Mac Dark Mode on older OS versions below.
By following these simple steps, you can easily turn on dark mode on your MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac, Mac Pro, or Mac Mini running macOS Ventura.
B. How to Enable Mac Dark Mode Using the Control Center on Mac
To switch dark mode on or off on your Mac with macOS Big Sur or a later version, you can use the Control Center. Here’s how:
- Look for the icon in your menu bar that resembles two stacked sliders. Click on it to open the Control Center.
- Once the Control Center is open, find and click on the “Display” option.
- In the Display panel, you’ll see the Dark Mode icon. Click on it to toggle the dark mode on or off.
Using the Control Center is a convenient way to switch Mac Dark Mode on or off on your MacBook Air or any other Mac running macOS Big Sur or a newer version. However, if you have macOS Ventura, accessing the System Settings method is similarly easy, requiring just one more click.
By following these steps, you can easily control dark mode on your Mac based on your preferences and the version of macOS you have.
C. Enable the Mac Dark Theme Using Siri
Sure! Here are the steps simplified into bullet points:
- Activate Siri by saying “Hey Siri” or clicking on the Siri icon in the top menu bar.
- Speak commands to Siri, such as “dark mode” or “turn dark mode on.”
- Siri will understand your command and enable the dark theme for you.
That’s it! Siri will take care of turning on the dark mode on macOS Big Sur or later versions when you give it the appropriate command.
How to Change to Mac Dark Mode Automatically
- Open System Settings using the Apple icon on the top menu bar or spotlight (cmd + spacebar or the magnifying glass icon).
- Look for and click on “Appearance” in the System Settings window.
- In the appearance panel that appears, choose the “Auto” option.
That’s it! By following these steps, you can switch to auto mode in macOS Ventura. This mode will automatically switch between light mode during the day and dark mode at night, providing better eye comfort in low-light settings.
How to Turn Off Mac Dark Mode
To turn off dark mode, you can use the same steps you used to turn it on, but in reverse. Here’s how:
- If you activate dark mode using Siri, you can ask Siri to turn on light mode instead.
- If you enabled dark mode through the control centre, you can toggle it off similarly.
- In your System Settings or Preferences, you can select light mode instead of dark mode.
Following these simple steps, you can easily switch from dark to light mode on your Mac.
How to Turn on Light Mode or Dark Mode in Apps
- Maps: If your Mac is in Dark Mode but you want to use Light Mode in Maps, open Maps, go to Preferences, and choose “Always use light map appearance.”
- Mail: To have a light background in Mail on your Mac, go to Mail’s Preferences and uncheck the option “Use dark backgrounds for messages.”
- Safari: If you come across a website that doesn’t support Dark Mode, you can use Safari Reader to read it in Dark Mode.
By following these steps, you can customize the theme mode for specific apps like Maps, Mail, Safari, Notes, and TextEdit to either Light Mode or Dark Mode, depending on your preference.
You used to need extra apps to make your Mac have a dark mode, but now it’s built into macOS itself. The Mac Dark Mode is a feature that lets you switch to a darker look on your Mac’s screen. It’s easy to turn on whenever you want. With dark mode, you don’t have to deal with overly bright designs if you don’t like them. Even your screenshots will show the dark mode look, which is pretty neat!